Sunday, February 19, 2012

Oh, Romeo


Meet Romeo:
A 27 year old blue-fronted amazon from Germany!


Romeo came to the U.S. with his owner, but she ended up having to get rid of him. You see, he is very picky about who he likes to be around and this handsome boy really digs the ladies. He ended up not liking his owners husband, so Romeo had to go. When thinking about age in, say, a cat or dog, 27 is unthinkable, but with a parrot like Romeo, 27 is just the beginning of his life. The average lifespan for a captive, healthy amazon is 70 years and beyond, so he definitely has a lot of years left in him.

"HEEELLLLOOOO LADIES!"
 I chose Romeo to be one of my project animals, because I've been told that he's becoming more shy as his stay at Parrot Garden grows longer. I feel with my experience working with parrots over the years, I can help him become more social and remember how to trust people again. He has become fairly comfortable with me picking him up with my bare hand/arm and taking treats from me.  

Though, he allows me to step him up on my arm, he is extremely scared to be touched. Over the last few weeks I've tried to pet him on the head with a feather, but he would just move his head and climb away from me. In general, amazons are usually very vocal and comedic, but with Romeo, he is very quiet and reserved. After spending hours upon hours with him, he seems more relaxed with my presence. He seems to inch closer to me as I've been spending my time reading, singing, talking, whistling, humming, and dancing to him. The last few sessions I spent with him, he became very outgoing. He would throw his wings up in the air and go, "WOO!" He has been making a lot of peeping noises as well when I have him out in the free-flight room. 


Romeo has a best friend named Dusty, a mealy amazon. Dusty is much bigger than him and likes to stand between anyone that tries to get near Romeo. It seems that Romeo gets annoyed with Dusty when he does that and I've actually witnessed him pushing away Dusty with his foot so that I could approach him. Since it's hard to socialize Romeo with Dusty there, I have to separate the two when I do my sessions. Romeo isn't as attached to Dusty as Dusty is to him, so he stays calm when they're separated, while Dusty screams from the other room.

Dusty (left) and Romeo (Right) snacking away

When initially observing Dusty's behavior, I was nervous that I would be breaking their bond. But, I was told that Romeo is very independent and it would be best for him to become more social, so that he can get adopted faster. Parrots that are bonded have a much harder time getting adopted since they can't get separated. So, in order to have Romeo be more adoptable, it's best if he doesn't get too bonded with another parrot.

Dusty (Back) watches carefully as I talk to Romeo
All Romeo needs is for one lucky lady to come and fall in love with him. He's very quiet and well-behaved, making him an ideal pet for any woman. Won't you give him a chance to become your best friend? 

Silly boy after a shower and treat

No comments:

Post a Comment