Sunday, February 26, 2012

Oh, Happy Day!!

Yesterday was the end of my internship, but that didn't stop me from going to visit Parrot Garden today! When I stepped into the cockatoo room, I noticed Houdini staring at me and as he proceeded to climb to his favorite perch that he goes to, to feel safe, so I knew he was aware of my presence. To give him some space, I walked straight over to  Sydney's cage (umbrella cockatoo) and decided to take him out for some one-on-one time. 


As I was making my way across the room with Sydney on my arm, I heard this high-pitched little scream that sounded so unfamiliar. I started looking around and noticed that it was Houdini! He had climbed down from his perch and was hanging on his cage door screaming at me! When people talk about parrots, screaming is a given, but with Houdini, he's always motionless and very quiet. So this surprised me completely, because I've heard him scream only a handful of times. This time, he was staring directly at me and screaming his head off. I walked over to him and said, "SO, you want to come out, don't you?"

After I spent time with Syd, I brought Houdini out and placed him on the stand. Since he has an obsession with moluccan cockatoos, I took Seppi out and put him on my lap. For about 10 minutes straight, Houdini was stretching and flapping his wings like crazy! He kept extending his crest, dancing, and screaming. 

This is the first time in 5 weeks that I've finally noticed him act like a REAL parrot in front of people. He has finally broken out of his protective shell and reconnected with the world and I couldn't be more excited. After watching him exercise his wings for so long, I noticed that he was basically panting, but he looked SO happy. I couldn't help but watch him with a huge smile on my face.

When he finally decided it was time to rest, he flew down to the floor and started walking back and forth along the moluccan cockatoo enclosure, just admiring them. Then he started doing his famous 'Houdini Hop' that melted my heart! Basically, he hops in the air and then lets himself glide down by stretching his wings out. I watched him for almost an hour playing on the floor, just having a blast. He started hopping around in a circle and I couldn't help but laugh at how cute he was acting. 

Stacie came in and watched Houdini for a while with me and he didn't stop playing, but continued to hop around our feet. After some time, Stacie decided to try and step him up and when she asked him, he stepped up on her hand without any hesitation. I started gushing and jumping up and down like a proud mom would after her child accomplished something incredibly amazing.

Houdini proceeded to climb up her arm and sat on her shoulder and since it's a known rule not to let bigger birds on your shoulder, Stacie tried for a while to get him to step up. But, he refused to get off of her and kept sitting right in the middle of her back where she couldn't reach. I literally couldn't stop laughing and taking pictures to capture the moment. 

I am so grateful to have had this opportunity in helping this sweet little parrot rediscover happiness. I am extremely thankful for Jacque trusting me enough to work with him and I know in her care, he will never feel fear and abandonment again. I, also, don't feel as sad to leave him now when I go home in a few days, because I know that Stacie will work with him whenever she can and form an amazing bond with him. She is an incredible parrot caretaker and I know she will help this shy little cockatoo continue on in his search for happiness and trust. 

4 comments:

  1. Kaila, Tears of joy for Houdini. You must be a special sole to garner such trust from a creature that has seen some much pain in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I interned at Best Friends this summer and was able to meet Houdini! I am so happy to hear of his progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so awesome that he finialy made major steps in his progress.Its all up hill now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always tear up reading the amazing lives of these beautiful babies. Knowing the terrible times they had in the past and seeing them recover so well...................well I know you understand my tears, yayyyyyyyy for Houdini and friends.

    ReplyDelete