Friday, February 24, 2012

Heart Stealers

After interning for 5 weeks at Best Friends, I fell in love with all the parrots. But, there are some that pulled at my heart strings even more. Here are some of the beautiful parrots that I fell in love with and put a big smile on my face every day. 
King O:

When meeting King O, you can't help but fall in love with him. His laughter and comical voice can put a smile on anyone's face. When asked who is the most friendly bird at Parrot Garden, only O's name comes to mind first. His eagerness to entertain and to love people is so incredible that it still baffles me everyday to see him let any person he meets hold him. He is truly one of a kind and would make the bestest friend to someone that has a lot of free time on their hands. He's very high maintenance, but that's a given since he is a KING. 
 

Angel:

 Angel was one of the first parrots I fell in love with on the first day of work, aside from King O. Everyone tells me that he'll either love or hate you when you first meet him. Lucky for me he instantly bonded with me. Every morning when I go to work, he is one of the first parrots I go to right away and socialize with. His tiny little voice is just so adorable to listen to and he loves to snuggle in my arms. It's taking a lot of strength for me not to adopt him, because he's so wonderful, but I must resist, because I already have another parrot in mind :) (If I could, I would be taking a dozen parrots with me back to Michigan!)

Bruce:

Bruce was the first umbrella cockatoo that caught my attention and heart that first week working at Parrot Garden. Over the past few years I haven't had the chance to work with cockatoos, so when I came here, I was blown away! Most cockatoos are so desperate for love and attention that I can't help but spend hours a day socializing with them all. I mean, how can you resist one of these babies sticking their feet out to hold your hand? After working at Parrot Garden, hands down, cockatoos are my favorite species of parrot. Bruce would melt my heart everyday when he would say, "HI BRUCE!!" over and over again and stick out his foot for me to hold. He would snuggle in my arms and go, "OOOHH.. AWWWWEE.... HUH?". I couldn't help falling in love with him. All the gibberish that he would say would just make me laugh and made me forget any worry that I had that day. 

Fred:

How handsome is this double-yellow headed amazon? Fred is the first amazon that melted my heart. He caught my attention as I would enter the amazon room everyday by saying, "I'M FRRRREED," in his sweet little voice. He has some issues with his feet, but it doesn't slow him down one bit. All he needs is a little extra love and attention and he'd be the happiest bird alive.


Seppi:

This beautiful moluccan cockatoo is named Seppi! At Best Friends, he is the second friendliest parrot that I've met. He steps up for anyone that he meets and loves to talk your ear off. He seems pretty intimidating because of how big he is, but don't let that fool you, he's such a lover. I love to spend my free time holding him and preening his feathers as he chats away. Truly an incredible parrot that could use an amazing home with lots of room and someone to love and play with him constantly.

'Merlin':


The second I laid my eyes on her, I knew she belonged with me. This precious little baby is "Merlin", and after trying to convince myself that I would NOT adopt any animal while interning at Best Friends, my whole perspective changed when I met her. For a while now, I had a great interest in Indian ringnecks, but never had the opportunity to handle them. I've watched multiple YouTube videos of Indian ringnecks and fell in love with their comedic personalities. The second I walked by her cage, she put her head and wings back and started to make kissing sounds. As I peered into her cage, she kept pinning her eyes and made me laugh. I have never seen a parrot act like this in my entire life. She let me pet her right away and would hug her body against the cage so that I could give her the best scratchies. After a few days of socializing with her, she now steps up and loves to ride on my shoulders. I can not wait to take her home and love her to pieces. My little parrot family is growing. I now have three wonderful parrot babies :) 









 






Here are two YouTube videos of some Indian ringnecks that I recommend watching if you want a good "awwwee" moment. These videos melt my heart. Enjoy! :)


1 comment:

  1. just loved reading this page, parrots are truly heart stealers, have to totally agree with you there.

    ReplyDelete